2010-05-26

Dear Mama Duck

Dear Mama Duck,
Why were you crossing Highway 101 on Sunday afternoon?  I'm sure you didn't know it was going to be so busy when you decided to walk your ducklings from the nest over to the water for swim lessons.  Still, Highways tend to be loud and obvious, especially during the end-of-weekend rush.

I was so surprised when you appeared from under the motor home in front of me - I thought they were just slowing to pull off the road, but they managed to spare you and your 2 little ones.  I couldn't swerve enough other than to straddle you and had a fleeting moment of hope when you appeared in my mirror.  I don't think that third car behind me saw you.

I just wanted to say I'm sorry there's not better water access in San Luis Obispo.  And I'm sorry I did not heed my wise passenger's advice when he said, "Don't look."

Sincerely yours,
Red Truck

No comments: